Thursday 3 April 2008

Anythings recyclable!

I know this much about the communities in the north-east: they are resourceful; they have an amazing array of handicrafts they make out of bamboo and cane, maintain their knives very well, preserve their livestock meat for almost a year and brew some delicious drinks. But this was something new I came across.

As I was walking in Yingkiong, the headquarter of Upper Siang district, I noticed a vibrantly shining bag and wondered how such a bag ended up in a pan-shop. I was further interested and when I walked up to the shop I saw hundreds of pan masala, tobacco and biscuit covers and the lady in the shop was meticulously cutting and preserving these, later to be used to knit bags. These strips are washed and then knit to make them bags. One of the bags posted below I would’ve picked up; however these are really expensive because of the labour involved; this one costs 450 rupees! I couldn’t afford it and wondered if any Adi person in the place would be able to too, but then I put that thought behind and was pleasantly surprised by the innovation in front of me. Maybe the cost can be cut when many wrappers and labour is available. Not a very weak bag this one is too, for when I held it, it was moderately heavy and stronger that a cloth bag too I think!

Anyone who would’ve seen me walk away from the shop would’ve thought, “ here’s a young man walking in gaiety, satisfied with life!” I was indeed happy, coming from a city which may dump a crore packets like these a day, I was hopeful of starting this in Bangalore as well.




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Amazing, and the bad does have some kind of a design instead of just random covers put together.

karthik said...

yeah, shiny disco disco shiny bags!!!

The lows and highs - the ebbs and tides - the fall and rise

The water during a high tide on a beach gushes in loudly and surprises me with how high it rises. It moves in slowly but reaches out far in ...